Lingerie is an indulgence everyone should enjoy. When thoughtfully chosen, lingerie can make the wearer look and feel sexy and confident. And since it’s a visual form of foreplay, lingerie is the ultimate way to spice up your sex life.
Since many of us are spending more time at home than ever, there’s no time like the present to immerse yourself in the fantasy realm of lingerie. But the world of garter belts, balconette bras, and barely-there thongs can be intimidating, especially for those making their first foray into the lingerie boutique.
Whether it’s an indispensable part of your daily wardrobe or you’re buying your very first item for a special occasion, these tips will help you choose the right piece—and the right local lingerie shop.
Tip #1: Get professionally fitted.
Many (if not most) women are wearing the wrong bra size. It’s not surprising, since most women get fitted for a bra very rarely. Some have never had a fitting.
Not all bra styles are made to fit all breasts. If your bra feels too tight, rises up in the back, or you have spillage in the front or sides, it’s the wrong size. A professional fitter will help you determine not only your true bra size, but also your “sister size.”
Likewise, not all lingerie pieces—whether a teddy, thong, or corset—are made for every body. A professional fitter will help you find bras, panties, and other lingerie items that fit you properly, flatter your figure, and make you feel spectacular.
Tip #2: Start with something simple.
If the thought of sliding into a risqué ensemble à la Fifty Shades of Grey makes you break into a cold sweat, best to start with something simple. The point of lingerie, after all, is to make you feel fabulous, not petrified.
A playful babydoll, lace gown, or cleavage-boosting demi-cup bra with matching panties are less-intimidating options. Simpler pieces can also help you test the waters with your partner to see what they like. You just might find that over time you’re ready to introduce more erotic items into your lingerie wardrobe.
Tip #3: Look for high-quality materials.
Throwaway fashion has exploded in the last decade. Unfortunately, lingerie has not been spared this trend. But while discount garments may seem appealing at first glance, it’s virtually impossible to design quality garments on the cheap.
There is simply no substitute for meticulously designed garments made with high-quality fabrics and beautiful embellishments. It may seem like a splurge, but with the right care, a quality piece of lingerie will last for years. And you’ll feel fantastic every time you wear it.
Tip #4: Go with a style that suits you.
If you choose a particular garment just because it’s trendy or because you feel pressured into it, odds are it will just end up collecting dust in the closet. Or, worse, you’ll feel uncomfortable or resentful when wearing it—exactly the opposite feelings lingerie should stir.
Remember, lingerie is ultimately about you. Choose a style that feels right for your body and makes you feel great. You’ll know it when you see it.
Tip #5: Brush up on your lingerie lingo.
The lingerie arena has a language all its own. What exactly is a tanga panty? What’s the difference between a brazilian brief and a bikini brief? A demi bra versus a demi-cup bra? Familiarizing yourself with different lingerie styles and cuts will help you feel more empowered when you make that special trip to your Dallas lingerie store or the local boutique where you live.
Tip #6: Don’t forget accessories.
Lingerie accessories like embroidered fabric bracelets, Venetian-style masks, and daring harnesses add a bit of mystery and intrigue. If you’re the type who never leaves the house without jewelry, don’t overlook enhancing your lingerie ensemble with flirtatious accessories.
Tip #7: Regularly refresh your lingerie wardrobe.
Lingerie is a lot like fashion—even the most exquisite piece isn’t right for every occasion. In spring and summer, lighter colors and more delicate fabrics are best, since they won’t show under your clothes. Autumn and winter are the time to incorporate garters, corsets, and other pieces that may not be practical in the warmer months. Choose garments for every season and every occasion.
Why shop in person?
There’s no substitute for trying items on. Some garments are stretchy, others offer no give. Some items look great on a model or mannequin but may not play up your features as beautifully.
A good boutique will have professional fitters on-site to help you and offer suggestions. Here’s what to look for when choosing a lingerie shop or bra store:
- A wide variety of bra sizes: Most department stores don’t carry sizes beyond DD/E. And it’s not uncommon for unscrupulous assistants to try and sell well-endowed shoppers the largest size they have, even if it’s not a good fit. A good bra store will offer the full range of bra sizes, from A to H.
- Concierge service: Look for a shop that offers professional fittings for lingerie and foundations, either in-store or in the comfort of your own home. A professional lingerie boutique will offer the best quality garments and go above and beyond to help find you pieces that blend fit, function, and fashion.
- Guidance over the phone: Any lingerie shop worthy of your patronage will answer questions and offer guidance and support over the phone before you visit or buy online.
- Trendy lingerie styles: As with all fashions, lingerie trends change from season to season and year to year. For example, bodysuits are making a comeback in 2021—these versatile pieces can go from the bedroom to the board room (underneath a stylish blazer, of course) with ease. Look for a lingerie boutique that carries all the latest trends.
- Hosiery and accessories: From full coverage tights to thigh-high stockings, hosiery is essential to any wardrobe. Accessories like eye masks, feathery bracelets, and garters add a playful element to your lingerie ensembles.
Feel great inside and out.
There’s something about lingerie that makes you feel more alive. Investing in high quality lingerie is more than indulgence. It’s about looking and feeling sexy, confident, and energized. And you’re worth it.
Whether you’re a seasoned lingerie connoisseur or shopping for the first time, the lingerie experts at Trousseau of Dallas will help you find a garment that makes you look and feel fabulous. Shop our collection online or visit our Dallas lingerie store for personalized, concierge-level service.